Updated on April 3, 2018:
The dust is settling a little. Finally.
So, we’re excited to bring you some important announcements and developments.
First: we’re spreading our wings once again and taking a bold, uncompromising leap in 2018! An in-depth analysis of our business model undertaken over the last two years brought us to the realization that producing at BLKBOX, our beautiful home in the heart of Hillcrest, was no longer financially viable. As all expenses continued to increase, our seating capacity could not. In attempting to experiment with keeping a home base open while trying to produce in other venues (as we did in 2016) proved far too unwieldy and exhausting. With great sadness, but keeping in stride with our efforts to always stay fiscally viable, we bid farewell to our home of eight years. As of today, we are officially out of BLKBOX but still have a home base in Hillcrest at our URBN CNTR 4THE ARTS! We’re thankful to the friends and board members and angels who came out to help with this HUGE endeavor. They say it takes a village… it took this village 3 months to get the job done, but we got it done!
Now that we’re back on stable ground, expect the unexpected as we look at ways to bring you theater that is personal and powerful. We are happy to report that we expect to do the following in the coming months:
· Relaunching our highly successful ion Actor Academy! With each of our last sessions generating a waiting list of students, we’re bringing back this essential program along with the eagerly anticipated showcases of student work. Our production of KIN back in 2015 was a direct result of student work from this series of master classes.
· Reviving our NAKED PLAYS series. No, it’s not clothing optional theater – instead, we invite you into a salon-style environment where some of the city’s best artists infuse new scripts with passion and power. We keep it simple in a living-room style environment – naked, so to speak – so you can focus on experiencing the reading of a play in the most relaxed and intimate way possible.
· In-school programs! Yes, after years of trying to find time and resources to build our artists and audiences of tomorrow, we are currently negotiating with schools to bring socially-relevant theater into the classroom. At a time in our country when schools have become targets of violence, we hope to invite inspiration and comfort to our kids through the medium of theater and live performance.
· New play festival. We’re in the early stages now, but we’re in the process of negotiating an exciting partnership that could evolve into an important cross-border new play festival in late 2018. Stay tuned!
· Where else will we pop up in 2018? Things are in process behind the scenes… check back soon for more exciting updates!
CHANGES AND EVOLUTion!
Like everything else, the only constant in theater is change. We’re looking at 2018 as a year of EVOLUTion… and with it, certain roles morphing and evolving. We’re happy to announce that Producing Artistic Director Glenn Paris has moved into a non-staff role as Chair of the ion theatre Board. Glenn will continue to infuse ion with his brand of insight and energy. Founder and Executive Artistic Director Claudio Raygoza, who led last year’s Season 12: REVOLUTion, continues in his role as leader of the company.
So, hold on to your hats, and as the dust settles and the air becomes clearer, we want you to be an important part of this year’s EVOLUTion!
Questions? Please contact us! Claudio can be reached at (619) 600-5020 ext. 4 or by clicking here.
Cheers, and we hope to see you soon! You can help us stay on our feet by making a donation today. Thank you!